Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hail Ubuntu...

I am happy today, and you know why... ?
After posting this, I went home,
* created a System rescue CD from an ISO image.
* Booted with System rescue CD and deleted all partitions.
* Booted with WinXP CD and installed it on a 25GB NTFS partition,leaving behind other part of disk as unpartitioned.
* Booted with Ubuntu 7.10 CD and installed it on a 15GB ext3 partition along with 3GB swap, leaving behind other part of disk as unpartitioned.
* Booted with System rescue CD, created one 20GB FAT32 and 3 30GB NTFS partitions from the unpartitioned space.

Now My lappy is a fully functional WinXP-Ubuntu 7.10 dual boot system. I never had thought installing a dual boot system was as easy and enjoyable as eating Hide & Seek.

I could have had installed the media direct partition but I did not want to. I also don't have the system restore partition. I don't think both media direct and Dell's System restore will work with the dual boot config. considering that MBR is written by Ubuntu.
Now I am on a hunt to find necessary drivers to make my lappy work fine.

Hail Ubuntu...

1 comments:

Chaitanyak said...

try
http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.10 if you havnt already :)

for drivers...i tried the iso for the inspiron1420, it seemd to have the drivers for my inspiron 1520.. atleast i was able to get my monitor resolution... however i couldnt instal ubuntu for other reasons mentioned here - http://my.opera.com/chaitanyak/blog/2008/01/12/crysis-rocks